Do Pharmaceutical Companies "Own" Our Doctors?

We have become a society of pill poppers. Just as there is an app for that, many doctors have a pill for whatever ails you. Pharmaceutical companies employ representatives that spend their days (and nights) pushing their company's latest fix for whatever ails you on every doctor that will give them the time of day. To sweeten the deal, the drug reps take the doctors out for lunch, dinner and sometimes even treat the entire office staff to breakfast or lunch.

Trying to find a doctor who is immune to this legal drug pushing is getting harder and harder. With the insurance nightmares in this country, maybe doctors enjoy the perks that the pharmeceutical companies are offering.

If you are the kind of person who wants to avoid using prescription drugs and would rather focus on the cause of your symptoms, you need to look for a doctor who is open to natural cures. If you are a parent, keeping your child free of medications is very difficult, especially if your child is diagnosed with a disorder like ADHD.Is ADHD overdiagnosed? Misdiagnosed, often over-diagnosed and not always treated without medications, ADHD depends upon the feedback of the parents, teachers and any adults that are involved in the education and care of the child. A well-trained doctor will factor in all information and then determine the diagnosis. Doctors are often too quick to call a child's symptoms ADHD and from there, the child is on stimulant medications with side effects.

What can we do to stop this cycle of legal drug pushers? We can weigh the benefits of taking prescriptions drugs. If there are other options like changing your diet or lifestyle changes, why not give it a shot instead of just giving in to prescription medication. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary but often there are options.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm Robin, and you wrote to me on Helium about my visiting the set of SUPERNATURAL back in 2007. It was the most wonderful experience, far better than going to any convention, where there are watchdogs and rules that always irritate me!

    I wasn't able to write you directly out of Helium; when I tried to send a message, the computer hung up and wouldn't let me. I've been reading some of your articles. You're a terrific writer!

    While I agree that the first three eps of season 6 weren't my favorites, since ep 4, I've been a lot happier, and with the revelations of the most recent ep, I think we're back on track with the show we've come to know and love. I miss the old Sam, but apparently, he is the mytharc for season 6, or at least finding his soul is. Now that Sam and Dean will be working together again, with Lisa, Ben and Samuel pretty much out of the picture, it will be back to basics, with Sam soulless, of course.

    I love Crowley as a villain and have found the character to be a wonderful addition to the show. I prefer it when Castiel just pops in every once in a while. My hope is to make another visit to Vancouver and pay a visit to the set once of these days. While I enjoy conventions, there are too many restrictions, and it costs nearly 200 dollars to get a photo with Jensen and Jared--and you stand between them for two seconds and you're on your way! I always say for that much money, I'm entitled to have sex with at least one of them, LOL!

    I'd love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete