cancer scare!

I have been busy lately...I haven't posted because I had to have a lumpectomy. I feel fine, a little swollen but okay.
The results of the pathology report will take a few days but in the meantime I am on a mission!

Women,whether they are busy moms,grandmoms or just women, get so wrapped up in their lives that they neglect themselves. We all know this is true. The message I need to get across to you all is STOP! If something tragic was to happen, everyone you do for is going to somehow fend for themselves because they will have to.

Take care of yourself and get your yearly mammogram. Risk factors only mean that you are more likely to contract breast cancer. Personally, I have zero risk factors. Breast cancer is not going to wait for you to get your mammogram, it can be there without you knowing. Not that every lump is cancerous, it's not.

In my case, it was about 2 1/2 years since I had a mammogram. Now, I can make all the excuses I want, but the bottom line is I didn't care enough about myself to find a way to get it done.

Without health insurance, I have had to pay out of pocket for my treatment, which has included ultrasounds, mammogram, biopsies and most recently, a lumpectomy. I have been so busy between doctors appointments and appointments to apply for charity care at the hospital. You would assume being that I am unemployed without health insurance that charity care would be easy. NOPE!!! It is called being not quite middle class and not quite lower income. Money aside, emotional stress is something I could use less of in my life. I have felt pretty much at peace with all that has been going on. I cannot change it, just deal with it.I have had my moments of "freaking" out- No one is perfect.

I have faith that I will be fine. I just want to get the message out that we need to be mindful of calling and making those annoying appointments for tests, checkups and whatever. Life is short but why take chances with your health when you can prevent things from being worse?

So ladies, if you are overdue for your mammogram, get on the phone and make an appointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment