We Can Never Forget


It's hard to believe that 12 years have gone by since a horrendous act made a beautiful late summer day into one that has changed so many lives forever.

One cannot help but feel reflective today. We all can remember clearly where we were on that September morning. The shock and surrealness of the events that were unfolding as we watched will stick in our consciousness forever. For most of us the experience of living with terrorism is something that happens somewhere else.

That September morning was a brutal awakening for us all.

I'll never forget the eerie silence as all the planes were grounded. We waited holding our breaths wondering what the next target would be.

As a mom I had a hard time wrapping my brain around how I would explain this to my kids. How do you explain evil to a child?

I grew up in a time where I felt safe. I was too young to remember Vietnam and growing up (even into adulthood) terrorism was something that was exclusive to anywhere else but here.

It isn't just the realization that we are not immune to terrorism that makes me sad on 9/11. It is the hard cold truth that even though you are just going about your day, fate might have other plans for you.

Our lives have changed since 9/11. Our children are growing up with the threat of terrorism although we are allegedly safer than we were before.

Kids who were in kindergarten on 9/11 grew up with the threat. They don't remember what pre-9/11 was like. It is a bit sad but it is what it is.

I am sad today but I also believe that the events of 9/11 hold a powerful message for us all.

Life can be shorter than we expect. Instead of dwelling on the sadness and horror of the day, learn from it.

Hold your loved ones tighter. Say all that you want to say now. Don't wait.

Live each moment as if it were your last.

Never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment