Causes



The above picture is of my child who we now call "Matt". This picture was of when he was invited to a sweet 16 party and looking at it today I can see just how awkward he felt having to wear a dress.

My Matt was born a girl but somehow being a girl never fit. I tried to dress him in frilly, lacey, pink outfits but as soon as he had a say, gone were any feminine outfits in favor of jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps.

Now many of you are probably thinking that Matt is just a tomboy. I know what tomboys are like and Matt is no tomboy. Matt is a young adult now and from early on it was clear that he was born into the wrong body.

There are many of my family members who just don't get it. They seem to think that this is just a "phase". Even friends have commented that my M is just "confused".

I understand those who don't understand what being transgender is. I'm happy that the subject is in the media and is becoming more mainstream. It will only help M's transition. As a mom I just want for my child to be accepted for who he is.

Matt has started a GoFundMe in order to raise funds to make the transition. As someone who has been struggling financially since a major job loss several years back, I just cannot afford the therapy needed.

I don't want my child to live miserably like he is now. He needs to be able to move forward with his life and it takes money to do that. I will be writing more about our family's experience with this journey.

Today I am just asking for help with Matt's transition. We have found a center nearby that specializes in transgender issues. This is the first step.

http://www.gofundme.com/jswnfc

No comments:

Post a Comment