Customer Service

My very first call of the day was an angry woman who cursed me out for not being able to help her. This is one of the hundreds of reasons why I hate customer service jobs.

Being an at-home call center rep may sound like a good job to have but it's not.

I can work in my pajamas if I want to and I don't need to worry about commuting. That is the good part.

The problem is the job itself.

I decided early on in this phone call that this was an angry woman who I was not going to be able to make into a happy woman and calmly listened as she ranted and screamed. When she decided to make it personal and curse me and call me names, I had had about enough.

I politely told her that if she felt the need to curse and name call she can call back and speak to a manager because they get paid more than I do and I just don't get paid enough to be cursed at. I hung up while she was still screaming curses.

There are just some people that you cannot satisfy no matter what you do.

After 5 1/2 hours of this today, I dread tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be my 4th day of this nonsense (until I get another day off) and I get that Halloween costumes are important to people but some of the customers who call up are just plain dumb.

I work for a company whose websites are of a much higher quality than most. They are full of information if you bother to take the time to read it.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of dumb people with dumb questions who call. I guess you can look at these kinds of calls as amusing but sometimes it is just downright annoying.

This is a temp job and for me, the first "real" job I have managed to get since my last job ended in November of 2008 after it went out of business. I have prayed, pleaded, cried and struggled to find a steady paycheck since then. I have done freelance writing, sold handmade items on Etsy, gone through my parent's basement and sold "vintage" on Etsy and just about everything else I can think of.

All I have wanted is another opportunity to help keep a roof over my family's heads. I did NOT want a call center job. I knew what I would be getting myself into. I had no choice.

So I count the days until Halloween when my jobs ends. There is a slight possibility that I will get asked to stay on but even though I need the money, my answer is going to be "NO".

Life is short. I am determined that I am going to spend my work hours doing something that I can tolerate better than this. I will find it even if I create it myself- it is out there. Until then, I try and relax and forget about tomorrow morning and doing this all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment